Can a Dental Crown Break?
November 10, 2023
Dental crowns in Lake Worth are often the go-to solution to restore strength, function, and aesthetics to a damaged tooth. These versatile dental prosthetics provide a protective cover for compromised teeth, giving them a new lease on life. However, you might be wondering, “Can dental crowns break?” Keep reading to find out.
Can Dental Crowns Break?
Yes, dental crowns can break. While dental crowns are designed to be strong and resilient, they are not impervious to damage. However not all dental crowns are created equal. Some materials offer superior durability, ensuring a longer lifespan for your dental restoration. Here are some of the most durable:
- Porcelain-Fused-to-Metal (PFM) Crowns: Combining the strength of metal with the aesthetics of porcelain, PFM crowns are known for their durability and natural appearance.
- All-Ceramic or All-Porcelain Crowns: Renowned for their lifelike appearance and biocompatibility, these crowns are highly durable, making them suitable for various dental applications.
- Zirconia Crowns: Recognized for their exceptional strength and resistance to wear, zirconia crowns are an excellent choice for posterior teeth that endure significant biting forces.
Why Can a Crown Break?
Several factors can contribute to the breakage of dental crowns. Here are some of the most common ones:
- Biting or Chewing Hard Objects: Excessive force, especially on hard substances like ice or nuts, can cause crowns to fracture.
- Poor Oral Hygiene: Neglecting oral hygiene can lead to decay around the edges of the crown, weakening its structural integrity.
- Age and Wear: Over time, the natural wear and tear on dental crowns can compromise their strength, making them more susceptible to breakage.
Caring for Your Dental Crown
To care for your dental crown, remember to maintain good oral hygiene by brushing and flossing regularly. Don’t forget to schedule routine dental check-ups to catch any issues early. Avoid chewing hard objects, and if you grind your teeth, consult your dentist about a nightguard for protection.
Need Help with Dental Crowns in Lake Worth?
At Miguel Ferrer DDS, we prioritize the durability and longevity of your dental restorations. Contact us today if you have concerns about your crowns or are considering restorative options. Our experienced team is here to guide you!