What You Should and Shouldn’t Eat After Your Root Canal Procedure
May 10, 2021
With root canal therapy in Lake Worth, certain do’s and don’ts apply when it comes to what you should eat after your appointment. Your dentist will advise you to pick from a menu of delicious and healthy food options while your mouth is still sensitive.
Before you satisfy your hunger, you’ll want to wait until the numbness from the anesthetic completely disappears, so you won’t end up biting an area that is yet to regain full sensation.
What You Should Eat
While your mouth is on its way to recovery, make sure you avoid causing irritation to the surgical site by eating soft foods at mild temperatures. Be glad to know that you have a long list of options you can treat yourself to. These include the following:
- Mashed potatoes
- Shredded meat
- Scrambled eggs
- Soft bread
- Canned or cooked fruit
- Cooked vegetables with hummus
- Tuna salad
- Soft cheese
- Peanut butter
- Ice cream with no nuts or chunks
- Soft cereals
What You Shouldn’t Eat
You can give yourself the best chance at recovery if you skip certain foods that include:
- Chewy foods that can pull out your temporary filling or crown (bread, taffy, and gum)
- Crunchy foods that can trigger undue pain or damage the treated tooth (apples, carrots, and corn on the cob)
- Hard foods that can damage the surgical site and chip your tooth (nuts, candies, peanut brittle, and ice cubes)
- Excessively hot or cold foods that cause pain and irritate sensitive areas
- Spicy food that can cause discomfort and sensitivity
Do You Need Root Canal Therapy in Lake Worth?
If you’re looking to find a dentist you can trust, contact Dr. Miguel Ferrer DDS through his office to schedule your consultation today. He’ll be happy to discuss your treatment options and provide you with the best care possible.